Monday, June 19

Bikes and Roses


It’s summer and if you’re reading this blog right now, stop it, shut off your computer and go outside. OK, I know that for some of you, it’s winter, so you can keep reading, but for those of you for whom it’s summer, come back when the summer’s over :)

This time of year, I’m outside all the time (except when I’m at work during the day). After work, I’m out in the yard. On the weekends I’m out in the yard or at the beach. That’s probably why my posts have been more sporadic recently. I’ve also noticed that I’ve had fewer visitors. Of course, it’s possible that it’s not summer at all that is behind the drop in my stats. It could be that people are getting bored with me.

Anyway, Joe and I spent the weekend up at Singing Beach in Manchester (by-the-Sea). It’s a lovely beach. The water was unseasonably warm. The air temperature was in the upper 80s on Saturday and in the low 90s on Sunday, which might explain why the water was so warm. It was great. We swam and played in the surf for long stretches at a time, we ate, we napped. A few friends joined us as well.

Today after work, Joe and I rode our bikes to Dedham. I picked up my new bike last Friday. I can’t get over how easy it is to shift gears compared to my old ten speed. If I’m feeling ambitious later in the week—and it’s not in the 90s—I may ride my bike to work. It’s probably about an hour or so, but a pleasant enough ride. I’m a bit concerned about how much energy I’ll have to bike home after work, but we’ll see.

After our ride, I watered the plants outside and noticed that two new rose bushes that I planted this season had finally bloomed. I really love roses. I’m not a fanatic about them, and I don’t recall what either variety is called, because I didn’t save the tags. But I’m very meticulous about caring for them once they’re in the ground (though I did lose two bushes this past winter because they weren’t properly wrapped, but that’s because I was in Ukraine for six weeks in the fall). I fertilize, I prune, I spray. I enjoy.

Although neither was as fragrant as I’d hoped, they’re both beautiful. I think I prefer the pale yellow, almost whitish one to the red. I also planted a climbing rose that hasn’t bloomed yet, but it’s doing very well. I’ll post some pics of that one as soon as it blooms.

4 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Ah summer. It's raining now or I'd be outside. Biking is my favorite summer time activity (below 85 degrees).

I liked this rather more intimate glimpse of you.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

thanks, tornwordo :)

10:15 AM  
Blogger guy among the trees said...

Love your roses! If you want fragrance, might I suggest some of what they call "old garden roses". These are generally simple flowers, very robust in fragrance, and tough as nails (i.e., no need to wrap, no need to spray, etc...). There are many types out there, but some you might want to consider would be rugosa rose (Rosa rugosa), cabbage rose (Rosa x centifolia), or the damask rose (Rosa x damascena). These all have wonderful attributes and are not finicky and flakey like the hybrid tea, floribunda, or grandiflora roses.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

thanks for the rose info, treeboy. i'll look into them :)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.