Thursday, June 8

Damage Control

As I made my way down Winter Street this morning, I walked past the now infamous Macy’s gay pride window display. I noticed right away that, while the gay mannequins are still conspicuously absent—could they have gone somewhere less public to fuck??—the websites for the Boston Pride committee and the AIDS Action Committee are back up. Nothing is more tacky than damage control, Macy’s. Too bad I already cut up my Macy’s card.

As is typical of those caught in the middle of the Culture Wars, an entity trying to please both sides has ended up pleasing neither side. MassResistance is angry that Macy’s didn’t take down the entire pride display, while queers are appalled that Macy’s would have removed any part of the display in response to MassResistance’s shrill morality crusade against cross dressing mannequins (though I myself do not consider a rainbow flag wrapped around one’s waist as evidence of cross dressing).

If only Macy’s had stood by its original display. I hope they learn a valuable lesson from all this. Namely, next time they should use two female mannequins. We all know what a turn-on that is for otherwise homophobic straight men.

3 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I wrote Macy's an e-letter yesterday (posted on DesignerBlog) protesting their caving in to the pressure by what their representative described as "a few people." If they give up their principles in such a wimpy manner just because "a few people" object to something, they're in real trouble as a corporation.

I was very happy, however, that Mayor Tom Mennino delivered a tongue lashing to Macy's for doing what they did. Now if the rank and file gays of our own community will only develop some activism to fight off these right-wing, religious fundamental--and fundamentally--crazed bullies, we may get back to making some real propgress.

8:26 AM  
Blogger DJRainDog said...

Destroying my Macy's card as I type! How absurd! Especially in a town like Boston. Okay, so it'll have to wait 'til I get back to Manhattan, as I don't have it with me here in Maine, but I just wanted to say thanks for the comment...And I'm sorry it took me a month to notice it. I've been a bit busy, but I'm back. ;-)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

will-
their actions are truly incomprehensible. that they caved to such a fringe group of wackos is so fucking lame of them. and i agree, we could use more activism. we've got lots of bullies to contend with.

djraindog-
hey, thanks for your comment! no worries about taking a month to do it. i hope you'll be back. hope you enjoyed your visit to maine!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.