Thursday, June 15

Πάλι Μεθυσμένος Είμαι

I am slightly hungover this morning after our rehearsal last night with Mike the drummer and P the fiddler. P hosted us at his place—he doesn’t live too far from us. Joe brought a bottle of wine, but I brought a bottle of Barbayannis ouzo.

The Barbayannis family has been making ouzo on Lesbos since Efstathios Barbayannis arrived from the Black Sea port of Odessa, Ukraine in 1860. Their distillery is located in Plomari, which has historically been the center of ouzo production on the island. They even operate an ouzo museum! Plomari isn’t far from the hill town of Agiassos, where my maternal grandfather was born and raised.

P was very happy—he’s an ouzo drinker like me, which is cool. Needless to say that by the end of the night, I was wasted. I was still able to play though. P knows many of the same songs we know from Lesbos along with a repertoire of music from Crete and the Dodecanese Islands, more of which I’d love to learn. P will be joining us tonight at Café Apollonia in Roslindale.

A couple of P’s Greek neighbors heard us playing and stopped over, including N who has a lovely singing voice that is reminiscent of Kostas Nouros, who I’ll be featuring in my next Rembetiko of the Month.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had ouzo since my mother's (checks fingers) second wedding. I was just a pup...

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm I thought I was the only P...I guess there's another me out there...is that good or bad?!?!

P.S. I'm sure, however, that the new P is not as cute as me! :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

i don't know, the new p is pretty damn cute.

there are many p's, but only one
p-----r (if this is who i think it is...)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

v.j.-
are you near tarpon springs? there are lots of greeks there (i'm sure you knew that), so they'd def have ouzo at their restaurants. most liquor stores up here carry it. i'm not sure about florida...

anyway, if you can find it, it's so worth it, though i've met lots of people who hate it. if they hate it, it's because they don't care for the anise flavor. so to answer your question, to my knowledge all ouzo is made with anise.

i hope you find it. i think you'll be one of the ones that likes it :)

1:27 AM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

i guess you're going to have to wait to try ouzo then :)

being young has plenty of other advantages. oh, to be 20 again.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmm. Ouzo! Drool! :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.