Friday, September 1

Ο Διδάσκων Σεπτέμβρης

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It’s back to school time. When I used to work at Boston University, I always used to look forward to September because that’s when all the students returned. The campus was pretty quiet in the summer, but in September the sidewalks exploded with life. Everywhere you looked, there were beautiful young people hurrying to class, to the gym, to the cafeteria.

Tsarouchis’ September, though lovely, is not a youth. He’s a bit more seasoned than the undergraduates whose youthful beauty I admired on campus. Though he has books at his feet, he’s more the teacher than the student. That’s why I’ve called him “Teaching September.”

If only I’d had him for a teacher when I was a youth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I feel very much the same way about Seotember and the return of the students to MIT. Over the year they've been a constant source of inspiration and renewal for me.

Interesting you should have said this in your post today, because I just finished writing about the same thing over on Karl's blog Adventures in Gastronomy. Someone left a comment about "Damn Students!" hinting she hated it when they all came swarming back. I love it--all the youth and vibrance and thirst for knowledge. It's been a constant source of renewal and inspiration for me throughout all the years of my teaching career.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is not from Renaissance time because he has the books at his feet not in his hands, or this is what I think about it.

11:41 AM  
Blogger am mdkims said...

a wish is always more beautiful than the real ... that is why Teaching September was not your teacher in your youth ... so that you could have beautiful thoughts for the past ... cheerio

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.