Tuesday, July 11

Weekend Wrap-up

Kate, Joe and I took the fast boat to Provincetown on Saturday. Apart from a little mishap that took place on the way to the pier, it was a lovely day.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingWe had planned to take our bikes, so Joe put the bike rack on the car, loaded our bikes (mine first, then his), and we set off to pick up Kate. We were all running a bit late, which meant that we didn’t notice when the extra weight of a third bike (Kate’s) on the rack caused the whole thing to sag just enough that the straps connecting the rack to the bottom of the car came loose. We sped through downtown Boston so as not to miss the ferry and we almost made it. We hit Congress Street (with the parking lot in sight), which has been under construction and didn’t pay attention to the big steel plates covering the road until it was too late. When the car went over the plates (which have the same effect as speed bumps), the rack lifted off the car (since it was no longer secured at the bottom) and came slamming down, launching Kate’s bike in the process. It flew through the air and landed about 30 feet back in the middle of the road. We’re lucky there was nobody behind us. The frame was bent, and the back tire ended up looking like something out of a Dali painting.

Joe’s front wheel got out of alignment as did both of mine (it’s a brand new bike!), but at least they were ridable, unlike Kate’s. We threw hers in the back of the station wagon (yes, we drive a station wagon) and hoofed it over to the boat with less than 5 minutes to spare. The lessons: don’t rush; and invest in a decent bike rack.

Fortunately, that was the only flaw in an otherwise perfect day. Kate said it was Nazar (the evil eye). I’m tempted to believe her in light of some recent developments, but that’s a whole other story.

Ptown is a lovely place. I’d call it utopian, but to do so would be classist and insensitive, since a place where real estate is as out of control as it is there and affordable housing in such short supply could hardly be considered utopian. Still, the accepting atmosphere, the diversity, the vibrant arts scene, the natural beauty of the shore—all of these make Ptown an idyllic spot for a quick getaway.

Our friend J, who was down attending a poetry workshop, met us at the dock. We had a nice breakfast, after which he gave us a little tour of the town’s East End, which has a different feel—quieter and simpler—than the West End. I also stopped into Ptown Bikes to get a new clamp for my seat, the old one having ended up somewhere on Congress Street.

Kate rented a bike for the day, and we set off for the beach after meeting J’s boyfriend (I hope it’s OK to say that) in town. Our destination was Herring Cove, which is on the bay side (as opposed to the open Atlantic). We chose a spot in that fuzzy region where the gay men start becoming naked gay men. I think Kate was the only woman for miles.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingThe water was warm, which surprised me. J said it had been that way all week. Kate, Joe and I swam the most. Joe and I got naked to swim. Everyone else kept their suits on. Joe and I couldn’t resist an opportunity to swim naked. We put our suits back on when we returned to our blanket. Actually, after my last swim, I kept my suit off and took a little naked nap, but it was only for about 30 minutes just before we packed up and left. Pretty much everyone we were with (except for J’s boyfriend) had seen me naked before, so it didn’t really matter to me.

We ended the day with cocktails at the Pied Bar, where the early evening Tea Dance was just getting under way. Our boat was scheduled to depart at 7:30pm. J wanted us to stay over, but we all had various things we needed to get done on Sunday, and it wasn’t clear if our Saturday evening return tickets would be honored on the Sunday 10am boat. In any event, we’ll be heading back before the summer’s over, and perhaps we’ll stay over next time.

Joe worked a little on Sunday. I took my bike and Kate’s to the place where I bought mine a few weeks back. They said they’d true up my wheels and look it over for any other damage. Kate’ll need two new wheels and the frame will need to be adjusted, but they said it was fixable.

Late Sunday afternoon, Joe and I took a ride to Duxbury beach. Because we didn’t arrive until almost 4pm, we found a parking space in the tiny lot at the bottom of the bridge that spans the inner bay separating the town from the beach. We attempted to swim, but the water was so much colder than at Ptown, which is odd, because they’re located almost directly across from each other, on opposite sides of Cape Cod Bay. I ended up napping while Joe took a walk.

We ended the weekend with dinner at what has become our favorite spot: Ten Tables in Jamaica Plain. Joe and I are both terribly smitten with Shane, the dining room manager. He’s so damn cute and charming. We had a delicious meal followed by a decadent dessert. Their desserts are very unusual and creative. Not commonplace or predictable at all. Truly imaginative desserts are sometimes difficult to find at Boston’s eateries.

I got a bit tipsy on the Riesling and tripped on the way out. Shane chuckled, but not in a mean way. I’m sure I’m not the first boy to stumble out of there after ogling him all night. And I probably won’t be the last.

6 Comments:

Blogger am mdkims said...

I fell in love with anything Greek after watching My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding ... and now am falling in love with it even more after reading through your blog ... d'you know how to dance the kalamatiano? ... by the way those cute pictures of you turned me from a straight dude into a fag queen ... keep it up buddy ...
with love
Timothy
Kenya, Africa

1:53 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Why does simple nudity have to become such a big issue? Our bodies are beautiful. Breasts and asses and penises are beautiful.

Perverts aren't the people who remove their clothes, but the people who expend so much time, energy, fear and loathing trying to makeour bodies out to be dirty and shameful.

7:54 AM  
Blogger RIC said...

There's never been anything wrong about nudity; only in the minds of those who think so.
And if you happened to have the chance of learning a little bit of Ancient Greek culture as I did, then you'll never reconcile with judeo-christian craps. I see myself as a christian, culturally speaking, not as the catholic I used to be (long ago).
Fine blog you have here! At last something with a Greek scent! Congratulations!
(Btw, another affinity between us: I'm also lesbian on my mother's side... Sappho forever!)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Bloooog said...

Agreed, nothing wrong with nudity heck I'm naked right now haha

3:31 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

apart from the Bicycle mishap it sounds like a wonderful time!

8:05 AM  
Blogger boneman said...

A Priest, a Pentecostal Minister and a Rabbi all served as chaplains to the students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette.
They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop. One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear.

One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment. They
would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it and attempt to convert it.



Seven days later, they're all together to discuss their experiences.

Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches and has
various bandages, goes first.
"Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. And when I found him, I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."



Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory heclaimed, "WELL brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to my bear from God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quick DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of The week in Fellowship,
feasting on God's Holy Word, and praising Jesus."

They both looked down at the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed tubes in and out of him. He was in bad shape. The rabbi , with a look of wise reflection, looks up and says, "Looking back on it,

circumcision may not have been the best way to start."

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.