Tuesday, January 17

To Ben

I’m dedicating this short post to Benjamin Franklin, who was born this day three centuries ago. Franklin is considered the founder of the University of Pennsylvania, my alma mater.

Franklin was born in Boston on January 6, 1706. In 1752, the Gregorian calendar replaced the old Julian calendar, so that time skipped ahead 11 days, transforming January 6 into January 17.

In September 1723 at the tender age of seventeen, young Franklin fled Puritan Boston and an abusive older brother and set off for the more liberal Philadelphia, which has long considered him her adopted son.

As a tribute, I have selected three of his many sayings that retain their wisdom and relevance, especially in these times. Although I am dedicating this post to Franklin, I am directing these quotations to President Bush…

“Without Freedom of Thought, there can be no such Thing as Wisdom; and no such Thing as publick Liberty, without Freedom of Speech.” (1722)

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” (1755)

“It is hard for an empty bag to stand upright.” (1757)

Recommended Reading:
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He really is an amazing guy. Most people don't realize just how much present-day "wisdom" comes more or less directly from Benjy.

And, I find it really sucky that you're right about friends disappointing. It almost seems contradictory to being friends.

Which aspect do you obsess over?

10:53 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

thanks for the comment, chris.

what i find myself doing much more frequently than i'd like (or think healthy) is going over what i perceive to be someone's motives for behaving the way he/she does or what signals or messages i think the person is trying to send by doing or saying some such thing.

of course, i can't ever truly understand another person's motives. but at the same time, i think that most of the time there probably aren't any hidden messages. that's not to say that everyone is "what you see is what you get"... most people aren't. it's just that people are so fucked up, most of the time they don't even know why they do or say the things they do. so like i'm supposed to figure it out? yet, it's amazing how much time i waste trying to do just that.

in the end, i spend alot of time justifying in my mind all the shitty things i do and say to other people by coming up with something they did or said to me. in those kinds of conflicts, i think it's safe to say that both parties are wrong.

i realize how awful this makes me sound. i'm not really such a bad guy :)

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as someone full of so many hidden messages I can't even begin to figure out what any of them are, I can attest that sandouri dean bey is indeed really not such a bad guy and, in fact, a really swell guy, who is a real smart feller to boot.
and cute :)
xoxox

11:51 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Just last nignt one of the cable history channels had a really in depth biography of Ben Franklin. He was a far more complex and seemingly contradictory person than the "official" persona that has come down to us lets on. I'm probably going to have to find one of the newer biographies to read and learn about him all over again.

12:41 PM  
Blogger The Persian said...

I am really enjoying your posts, and have linked your blog to mine. If this isn't ok, please let me know!

:) Jim

2:28 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

jim,
i just blogrolled you as well. i think we were blogrolling each other at the same time!

thanks for reading and commenting!
:)

2:38 PM  
Blogger jjd said...

hehe, I particularly enjoyed the last quote. Though, I suppose, Bush has alot in his bag, it just happens to be foam peanuts I'd venture.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Abel Magwitch said...

Franklin was amazing in many ways, although personally not one of my favorite Founders. You wanna talk about my boy John Adams, I will rhapsodize until the cows come home.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Abel Magwitch said...

Franklin was really amazing, although personally not one of my favorite Founders. You wanna talk about my boy John Adams, however, and I will rhapsodize until the cows come home...

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.