Friday, January 5

Hello, gorgeous


Little Joe (my son) and I listened to today’s inauguration from my workplace across from the State House. Today’s ceremony was about a fresh start for Massachusetts, just as Little Joe is getting a fresh start.

We listened to Deval’s speech, and it was moving for what it said, disappointing for what it left unsaid. Although I wanted to feel upbeat, I found myself wondering why he neglected to mention the GLBT community, which he also left out of his victory speech on election night.

Far more inspiring, I felt, was Rabbi Jonah Pesner’s invocation. His words represented all that is good—in fact, the very best—within the Judeo-Christian tradition. Integral to Pesner’s faith is a longing for social justice and a deep awareness of our connectedness. For me, these are the most important elements of divinity. I tried to find the text of his prayer online, but met with no success, so I’m going to write him a letter.

I took the above photo as the crowds were gathering on Beacon Street. I don’t know if the man asleep here even knew that such a historic event was taking place less than a hundred feet away while he dozed. I do not know his story. Nor do I know if Deval Patrick’s promises of hope and change will improve his situation and the lives of those like him. I suppose that depends upon whether or not Patrick wil repair the holes left by the Romney administration in our Commonwealth’s safety net.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was in awe of Rabbi Posner's invocation and as I was tryng to find a copy on line, I stumbled across your blog. I do not do blogs because I do not have the time and the few times I looked into them they were mostly rants and wining drivel. Not yours! Wow, you are an amazing person! I loke your range of information from the Jesus Seminars to the inauguration. Quite good.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to request, if you do get the invocation, please send me a copy. I will do the same if I am successful. It needs to be posted!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

peterlee-
many thanks. i've sent a note to rabbi pesner. if i get a copy, i'll ask for his permission to post it on my blog.
dean

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.