Thursday, April 27

My Apology to Tarkan and Tarkan Fans Everywhere

In addition to receiving a comment upbraiding me for criticizing the new Tarkan CD in this post, I received this by email from Martin in Holland:

Being someone who listens to Turkish fasil music and Ottoman folk songs - I’m not surprised you didn’t like Tarkan’s album - you probably don’t like hip hop. I am a great fan of the singer and I was upset to read you say it was not good as though it was crap and give no justifcation. I have been reading your blog for sometime and I figure you to be an intelligent guy - one that would say “I don’t like it, it’s not to my taste but I can see how others might.” After all, it can’t be that bad if the single reached 15 in Germany’s charts and the album entered at 18 - can it? It is more success than any rembetiko artist is going to get.

For to you read up on Tarkan can I suggest some links?

Click here and here.

First of all, thank you for your message, Martin. I didn’t realize that my comments about Tarkan’s latest CD would be so offensive to Tarkan fans. Admittedly, instead of saying that his newest release wasn’t very good, I should have said that I didn’t like it because I found the English lyrics to be insipid and flat. I’ve always enjoyed his music in the past, but this one just didn’t do it for me.

The reason I did not say, “I don’t like it, it’s not to my taste but I can see how others might” is that I didn’t feel it needed saying. It was implied. Obviously, I know that there are people who like it. I was making a subjective statement, not an objective one, though I understand that sometimes subjective statements can appear to be objective ones. However, I’ll try to be more sensitive in the future.

Regarding Rembetika, I myself am not sure that there are any real Rembetiko artists left. There are artists that perform Rembetika, but I’m not sure that makes them Rembetiko artists. Rembetiko artists were the artists who created and invented the music. Those of us who attempt to recreate that music cannot really compare ourselves to them, no matter how talented or skilled we might be.

As for my opinion of hip hop, I’ll say only this: I’m not sure that hip hop as a genre is broad enough to encompass Tarkan, whose popularity I do not deny. However, at the risk of alienating some of my readers, I would argue that mass appeal is not necessarily a measure of quality. Nor does commercial success equal artistic merit. Perhaps I will be accused of being an elitist for saying that, but it wouldn’t be the first time. In the end, popularity means very little. It means no more in art than it does in politics. This has been amply demonstrated by George W. Bush, whose popularity (though waning as of late) is by no means an indicator of his quality as a leader.

7 Comments:

Blogger guy among the trees said...

Speaking of hip hop.... it is Thursday and shouldn't we at least be seeing your hips or some other half-naked part? :-p

Oh, and yes, you will certainly be dinner guests when I have my garden party.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

treeboy-
i'm saving my hips for you when you come visit and we head up to crane's beach or, better yet, down to gay head.

i'm looking forward to that garden party :)

11:54 AM  
Blogger The Persian said...

ahhh I see how you are Dean!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

jim-
what does that mean??? :)

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah you have a great site chicki!! I've been wanting to leave a comment for ages. Loved your feet last heh :)

I love the lyrics of Tarkan's Come Closer song and If Only you Knew. How can you say that such lines as:

Love is the sweetest pain inside
The answer is right there in your eyes
If I could take the sun and take the moon
And make tomorrow wait
If only I, if only I knew the way


as "to be insipid and flat"?!! :'(

Besides the lyrics were written by American artists David Werner, Billy Mann and others.

But I still love your blog! Shame I've been away a few weeks and came to the topic so late!

And you mention every Tarkan fans Turko-God Aliiii!!!!! He's the best.

Kiss Kiss Simarik boy!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

aberto-
thanks for commenting and i'm glad you like my blog and my feet :)

actually, i probably should have paid closer attention to the lyrics while listening, or at least had the liner notes in front of me. the lyrics you quoted weren't bad. "love is the sweetest pain inside" reminds me of the first time i got f-cked :)

kiss kiss

3:52 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

kate-
you don't disappoint. i was eagerly awaiting your comment to this post, and, well, you've outdone yourself. witty and brilliant as always.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.