Friday, March 17

Romney and Rome

Catholics and Mormons make strange bedfellows. Still, that hasn’t stopped our Mormon Governor from kissing the vestment-covered asses of Massachusetts’ Catholic bishops. He recently filed a bill in support of a religious freedom exemption for Catholic Charities that would allow them to deny adoptions to same-sex couples and next week he’ll travel to Rome for O’Malley’s elevation to cardinal. Gag.

I better get used to it, because with a presidential run on the horizon, we’re sure to see much more of this symbiosis between Romney and Rome. I myself am not sure that America’s Catholics (or its evangelicals for that matter) are quite ready for a Mormon president. Then again, “better a Mormon than a liberal” might just win the day. We’ll see.

In the meantime, Romney can cosy up to O’Malley, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston, and even the Vatican as much as he likes. At a Saint Patrick’s Day breakfast in New Hampshire, he boasted, “I don’t know that there’s ever been a Mormon guy that’s been to the Vatican for a Mass held by the Pope, so it’s a personal honor.”

Is that so, Mitt? Well, don’t let it go to your nicely coiffed head. Let’s not forget how, in a 2001 statement written by Ratzinger himself, the Vatican made its position on Romney’s religion quite clear:

RESPONSE TO A ‘DUBIUM’
on the validity of baptism conferred by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, called Mormons

Question: Whether the baptism conferred by the community The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, called Mormons in the vernacular, is valid.

Response: Negative

The Supreme Pontiff John Paul II, in the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved the present Response, decided in the Sessione Ordinaria of this Congregation, and ordered it published.

From the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 5 June 2001.

+ Joseph Cardinal RATZINGER
Prefect

+ Tarcisio BERTONE, S.D.B.
Archbishop emeritus of Vercelli
Secretary

Yeah, that’s right, Mitt. Mormon baptisms are invalid. Know what that means? In Ratzinger and O’Malley’s eyes, you might as well be gay.

7 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I love it--you're even harder on the Catholic Church than I am.

3:37 PM  
Blogger toobusyliving said...

I love it too. I'm just as shocked to find out you have a mormon governor as I was when I read about the magic underwear they wear. Is Provincetown still safe? I have a few things to write about the Catholic Church - maybe I'll do it on my blog in the near future. It has nothing to do with personal experience - especially given that my name is Peter Joseph Michael!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

good post!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I didnt know your governor was mormon either.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I first heard of Mitt when I traveled to the SLC Winter Olympics. He was HUGE there.

I am recovering Catholic who experienced an 8-year LTR with a recovering LDS.

I understand that Mitt is interested in the 2008 Presidential election; however, I don't think the US is THAT conservative...but hell, who knows what this country will elect.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

to steve in phoenix-
an ex-catholic and an ex-mormon? that's hot.

and thanks for the compliment :)

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it was hot for many years... then we grew into our 40s and he found someone much younger :) I'm not bitter though. He's the one who has to babysit :)

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.