Tuesday, January 31

Ne kadar yağlı bir peynir


I find that when I’m down (for example, when arch-conservatives are appointed to the nations’s highest court), thinking about a nice Turkish cheese always lifts my spirits. Kate sent me this photo from her recent trip to Turkey.

Ezine is one of my favorite cheeses but it is next to impossible to find stateside. It’s a semi-hard cheese, not unlike kaseri or gruyère, but smoother and richer. And, interestingly, when you try to google “ezine cheese,” you get a bunch of e-zines about cheese! You have to google “ezine Turkish cheese,” and even then I didn’t find any local distributors. Sevan Bakery in Watertown has lots of cheeses from the Mediterranean, but I’ve never seen Ezine there. I’ve heard there’s a Turkish grocer in Methuen. I should check them out.

I can remember driving with Joe from Istanbul to Safranbolu, Turkey, with a loaf of crusty bread, a container of olives from Edremit, and a hunk of Ezine, which I had on my lap. Even though it was wrapped in paper, it left a permanent oil stain on the front of my khaki shorts. Hence the title of this post: That’s one oily hunk of cheese…

What memories.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

i'll never tell!
:)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Kate beat me to it: I was going to say "oh, so THAT'S what guys are calling those stains these days."

Or, to paraphrase Mae West, "Is that a hunk of cheese in your pocket or you just happy to see me?"

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.