Tuesday, November 15

Danseur Privé


Unlike the musician in this painting, I play the sandouri (see my very first post on this blog), not the bouzouki, with which I've always had a love-hate relationship, on account of the fact that it has displaced so many of Greece's more traditional instruments. But that’s not the point of this post.

The point is that I would gladly take up the bouzouki if beautiful boys stripped and danced to accompany my playing. So far that hasn't happened with my sandouri. People have taken their shoes off, but I'm not counting that.

This painting entitled Zeïbekiko Near the Sea was done by Yiannis Tsarouchis (1910-1989) in 1979 shortly after his return to Greece from France where he had lived in self-imposed exile during Greece’s military dictatorship.

Tsarouchis’ work, which contains hints of both Byzantine iconography and French impressionism, is deliciously homoerotic. I’ll be posting lots more of him.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The handful of experiences I've had where a sandouri was being played did, in fact, result in urges (and on one occasion, action upon) to remove my clothes and cavort.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

that's the sexiest thing i've ever heard :)

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm hearing that from you a lot. :-D

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

AMAN YALA CLAIMS NO CREDIT FOR ANY IMAGES FEATURED ON THIS SITE, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ALL VISUAL CONTENT IS COPYRIGHT TO ITS RESPECTFUL OWNERS. IF YOU OWN RIGHTS TO ANY OF THE IMAGES AND DO NOT WISH THEM TO APPEAR ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL, AND THEY WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED.